DESCRIPTION OF SIAM (Marine Environmental Information System).
INVEMAR has advanced a sustained effort over a decade aimed at developing software tools that serve to collect and organize data and information to support both the construction of new knowledge and governance. The result is shown in the many products offered by the Marine Environmental Information System of Colombia some of which are related below.
For those who require data on biodiversity; SIAM provides all the information in the collections of the Museum of Natural History in Colombia and existing information in the Gorgona Island and data resulting from the monitoring of coral areas in Colombia.
The water quality is a major concern of both the authorities and the public in general, and SIAM offers data access as a product of INVEMAR´s advancement in systematic monitoring since 1997.
The system gives the user plenty of cartographic information, including tools that allow you to combine the existing thematic information according to your needs.
SIAM also offers the opportunity to access a variety of documents, including most of the publications that INVEMAR has generated.
SIAM is a tool that continuously grows both in content and in the type of services offered. This is how, that since February 2010, INVEMAR provides oceanographic and meteorological information of the islands in the Colombian Caribbean region from buoys and stations that continuously transmit data to INVEMAR CENTERS.
To learn about the project objectives of the SIAM software see:
To access available data visit:
SIAM - ACCESS TO DATA
You can also keep up on Siam following us on Twitter: SIAM_COLOMBIA
If you visit us please let us know your opinion about existing services or its requirements by filling in the survey accessed at:
The Marine Environment Information System (SIAM) - Conceptual Model
SIAM is the integrated set of elements such as: conceptual, policies, standards, processes, human resources and technologies that articulate the marine coastal environmental information generated, managed and/or required at the national, regional and local levels.
SIAM aims to develop tools for collection, analysis and management of environmental information and use of marine and coastal resources of Colombia, as a support for knowledge generation, decision-making and managing a sustainable development in an environment that encourages citizen participation.
1. Adapt, adopt or develop standards, protocols, processes and technological solutions for the capture, generation, processing, flow, dissemination and management of information generated by the sector.
2. To facilitate access and availability of environmental information, as a strategy to respond to the requests of information at local, regional, national and international levels.
3. Generate data for establishing the state and use of environments and resources in marine and coastal areas in order to promote environmental management.
4. To support the integrated environmental management at a national level, through the provision of services, the introduction and development of technologies that allow integration with the Environmental Information System of Colombia
5. To support the processes of knowledge generation, transfer and implementation of technologies of information.
The SIAM has two important elements that when articulated guide its development:
The conceptual support, based on themes: Biodiversity, Monitoring of marine environments, efficient use of resources, secure coexistence with nature and a support of the integrated environmental management. Conceptual thematic axes that guide the processes of research and development in information technologies of SIAM are designed to answer questions about...
• Biodiversity, through generating information and knowledge on marine and coastal biodiversity, as well as the phenomena and processes that govern its existence.
• The efficient use of resources, producing status information and assessment of the biological, economic and social potential of natural marine and coastal resources.
• Support for integrated environmental management, through instruments that incorporate governance, the biophysical, socio-cultural, economic aspects in terms of scientific knowledge in the management of marine and coastal natural resources by implementing concepts, methodologies, techniques and tools that contribute to the Integrated Management of Coastal areas in Colombia.
• Monitoring of the marine environment, generating information that answers questions about the chemical and sanitary quality of sea and coastal waters of the country and providing knowledge about the impact of phenomena caused by human activities in the structure and dynamics of marine ecosystems.
• The safe coexistence with nature, generating knowledge and information on the physical aspects of marine and coastal areas in terms of geologic, oceanographic and climactic processes.
1. The technological base that provides support from the tools necessary to guarantee and ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the system. It is the component that has all the logical support, provides all the necessary technological support of the principal themes, and consists of:
• Structured Data System
• Spatial Data Systems
• System of documentary information
2. The systems that gather information collected during the research activities carried out on a regular or occasional basis.
3. Systems based on technologies that allow automatic environmental monitoring.
Diganos su opinión
A través de éstas encuestas se busca medir el grado de satisfacción de nuestros usuarios frente a los servicios brindados por el INVEMAR.